Saturday, May 10, 2008

"Under your wheels, the hope of spring, mirage of loss, a few more things, you left your sorrow dangling, it hangs in air like a school cheer......"

I had been having pains in my right side for a few days and last night finally decided to go to the hospital. I thought it might be my appendix and really didn't want to leave it any longer. So I went to the University Hospital Emergency Room and it wasn't very busy at all, which surprised me because it was a Friday night. After signing in and being assessed, I got the pleasure of my own little curtained area. Where I got the equal pleasure of changing into those stupid hospital gowns. Those things should be outlawed. Anyway after about 30 minutes a nurse (who was originally from Texas and wasn't particularly enjoying her job in Canada) came and took 3 vials of my blood. I must admit I looked away and knew immediately it was going to leave a bad bruise. So she took my blood and off it went to be analyzed. I am definitely not a hypochondriac but when you are sitting there looking at multi-coloured curtains waiting for blood results it is easy to suffer from hypochondria. I started imagining everything that could be possibly wrong while listening to a guy on my left struggling breathing and coughing his smoker's cough. No wonder they came and hooked him up to oxygen. On my right was a man in his 60's who had been suffering chest pains and they were running tests along with asking him questions. I laughed out loud when he couldn't come up with a number of drinks he drank a week, he said that depended. The doctor asked him what it depended on and I think he said the day of the week, which is acceptable. I think he finally settled on 14 drinks a week, which is more than me. I drink 6-12 but they are usually in one night. Anyway they changed nurses and a coloured nurse from one of the Caribbean islands, well that is what I decided came and asked me if I could provide some urine. So I got up and proceeded to the restroom, in my fancy blue gown, and provide the asked for urine. After that my side really didn't hurt that much, well it throbbed but I just wanted to go home to bed and out of the hospital. The young doctor came, examined me and then he left. This left me alone with the voices outside my curtain and the boredom of my thoughts. This wasn't exactly a good thing. I decided then I didn't want to be cut open, even if they wanted to take out my appendix. But my blood work and urine came back clean, imagine that, I am normal, blood wise anyway. The doctor examined me again and told me I would be fine. I asked him if it might be an ulcer and he laughed, so I guess that meant no. He said I might have pulled something or tore some tissue, or it might just be a virus. I was to go and if it got worse come back. So the nurse took my temperature again, 37.2 Celsius and the doctor gave her the thumbs up and I was allowed to go. But the nurse still had to remove the thing they put in my arm to get a vein and ripping it off, hurt like hell. All the arm hairs being pulled out of my arm, at that point I did feel like vomiting. A 3 hour tour. The bruising on my arm today is nice, like I thought it would be. I feel a little disoriented today and tired. I didn't sleep the best and need to get some more. I am supposed to go out for a birthday party tonight but unless I feel better after sleeping, that isn't happening.
"We have arrived too late to play the bleeding heart show...."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dH9Q4fsZ1IY
Yesterday before I went to hospital I watched the movie Gone Baby Gone. I was really impressed with this movie starring Casey Affleck, Ed Harris and in a minor role Morgan Freeman. The moral questions raised by this movie are immense and can only be answered by us as individuals. I often think children would be better off without their parents, if they are terrible parents but separating child from parent, can scar the child no matter what type of new life they are given. There are lots of people who say they are doing what is best for the child, but what is really best for the child. Of course there are some situations where it is obvious what is best for the child but there are other cases where it isn't as clear. Ben Affleck did a great job on this movie as its director. While I was watching this movie and in particular Ed Harris, I got to thinking about his best movies. So here are my favourite movies with him in them. Also further below is a better review of Gone Baby Gone.
A Beautiful Mind
Pollock
A History of Violence
Nixon
Enemy At The Gates
Glengarry Glen Ross
The Hours
The Truman Show
Apollo 13
http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/10/19/movies/19gone.html
"Well, I got all this time, to be waiting for what is mine, to be hating what I am, after the light has faded...."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eptGrk3gXfs
I was probably the only person in the world who noticed this during the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia hockey game last night. But after the Flyers tied the game at 1 there was a slight delay while they reviewed the goal. During this delay they played Hanging Around by Counting Crows in the arena and I thought this was cool. Pittsburgh won the game 4-2 with Malkin having a great game scoring twice and adding an assist. 7 more wins until they win the cup.
Now a few comments about the Toronto Blue Jays, Brad Wilkerson and Kevin Mench are not enough to turn this team around. They are below average baseball players trying to return to their previous state of barely average. J.P. Riccardi is grasping at straws, the only major improvement would be Barry Bonds or trading for a young everyday left fielder or a better first baseman or a young catcher. Of course they lost and Halladay fell to 3-5. He didn't pitch overly bad but was once again prone to the big inning. I love Roy and think he is in the top five pitchers in baseball but he is becoming way too prone to allowing the big inning. He will be cruising and then it is always one bad inning, I don't care how the inning happened, he has to learn to be better about limiting the damage. Or he will never lead Toronto to the playoffs. It would also help if they would give him more than 1-0 lead, especially when they have the chance to but they are offensively futile. Horrible.
I guess it is a matter of being safe than sorry. What is a little blood.
If you don't know the music of the New Phonographers, you should. They are really good.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fI_XA-cLVww
john.

No comments: