Sunday, May 18, 2008

"I've been up for 38 hours and it don't look like sleep's coming soon, cause I could break like a bird or I could swallow the sea........."

Well I haven't been up for 38 hours but it feels like I haven't slept well in a very long time. Last night James, Jeff and I (aka the Three Jamigos) hung out drinking until we decided after midnight that we should go to a bar. We initially tried to go to the Thorny Devil but it was lined up and we don't do lines. So we decided to try Cowboys, it wasn't overly busy and kind of boring. I suppose this is what we get for deciding to go to the bar late. Though there were a lot of goofy people and a few rather good looking women, one in particular trusting enough to leave her purse with strangers while she danced. At least the live band wasn't terrible and didn't play all country stuff. There was the usual Sweet Home Alabama and Brown Eyed Girl to make up for some of the country crap. The thing about country music is if you listen to enough off it, it all starts sounding the same. This is why you need country rock songs.
We had amazing pizza after the bar, the best Domino's I have ever had. Jeff and I crashed at James's and I got the short couch. This might explain why my back and legs are stiff and sore today. Today's breakfast choice was Richie's and it was good, as it usually is. The restaurant was busy as we arrived during the after church rush and just before the hungover crowd.
"Got two reasons why I cry away each lonely night, the first one's named Sweet Anne Marie and she's my hearts delight, the second one is prison, baby, the sheriff's on my trial and if he catches up to me, I will spend my life in jail....."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jPhTDP6j5Hw
Above is an acoustic cover of the Grateful Dead's Friend Of The Devil by Counting Crows. I like the way they are able to take a song and recreate it as their own, whether it is better than the original or not doesn't matter, they are songs they like to play and it comes through in the performance.
The weather has been absolutely crappy all day. I first heard the rain around 7 am, I am a light sleeper when I am not in my own bed. The rest of the day has just been overcast, windy and cold. It is 8 degrees right now and once again typical May 24 long weekend weather. The type of weather that allows you not to feel bad being hungover and watching sports.
Team Canada lost a heartbreaking game against Russia today at the World Hockey Championship, leading 4-2 Canada lost 5-4 in overtime. Kovalchuk's goal gave the Russians the Gold medal and Canada silver. Of course with the NHL playoffs still going on, neither team had their very best but Russia will be a major force at the 2010 Olympics.
The Pittsburgh Penguins are the first team in the Stanley Cup finals beating Philadelphia 6-0 today and winning the series 4-1. They will play Detroit or Dallas, I will pick them to win against either of those teams. Pittsburgh is young and fun to watch.
Despite 45 points LeBron James and Cleveland are out of the NBA playoffs losing game 7 against Boston. James nearly had a legendary game and almost got his team an upset over Boston. He needs more of a surrounding cast before he is able to bring Cleveland a championship.
Plus the Jays have won 6-5 after a couple rain delays. Too bad for viewers on Sportsnet Ontario we didn't get to see the finish of it.
Why not complete my sports watching with a little tennis, Rafal Nadal beat Roger Federer in Hamburg for his 11th Masters Series championship. Nadal is 108-2 (yes 2) in his last 110 clay court matches, one of those loses was to Federer at the same tourament last year. So sweet revenge was today's victory.
Of course it isn't like I watched everything completely, I am a channel flipper and nothing keeps my attention completely. Sunday's this time of the year are sports heaven. At least if you are single, if not it might be hell.
"These train conversations are passing me by and I don't have nothing to say, you get what you pay for but I just had no intention of living this way..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qq_XmbU7ziY
The following is from Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides. It is a pretty good read thus far. "We Greeks get married in circles, to impress upon ourselves the essential matrimonial facts: that to be happy you have to find variety in repetition; that to go foward you have to come back where you began."
Everything is moving towards an ending and most of the time we wish we could begin again.
I suppose the following are perfect lyrics for me today.
"I need a raincoat, I need a big love..." from Rain King/Raining In Baltimore above or "it's a dangerous time for a heart on a wire..." from Goodnight L.A. below.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YnlA0t9Ub7A
jr.

No comments: