Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"I walked across an empty land, I knew the pathway like the back of my hand........"

Gone are the nearly clear blue skies of yesterday. It has been raining and depressing outside for most of the day. We do need the rain or so I am told.
I was watching the coverage coming from China and the destruction caused by Monday's earthquake is really bad. They are just starting to dig under the rocks looking for survivors, there are few. A girl was pulled from the rubble after 50 hours and looked to be in good condition. The number of missing or dead are becoming staggering, approaching 50,000 by some counts. The number of dead will continue to rise because China is slow in accepting aid and giving access to aid workers. The initial hours are the most important and many of the aid agencies are stuck in red tape. China is a country of endless red tape. This tragedy is not going to change this fact.
"Time goes by at such a pace, it's funny how it's easy to forget her face, you hide the cracks, the facts will find you, turn your back and leave the lonely days behind you now..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QC1fUaeTD-c
I wrote the following piece this afternoon. It is basically about what it feels like to not be able to recognize yourself or others.
Undistinguishable
I was wondering about love
The sky was basically blue
A few traces of white lingered
Half of Earth’s moon shadowed
The sun was at its May best
A coloured man played his drums
Skin and faces passed by
Some looked familiar and some not
I wanted to touch a few
Their skin looked smooth and sexy
Deep eyes full of mystery
Perfect women to dream with
When sleep arrives after pleasure
A horn honks and words are screamed
Some people are never happy
I am nothing but lonely
The clock chimes above in its tower
Another day turned by invisible hands
A crane lifts me to unbelievable heights
Buildings and houses become smaller
Miniature people enter and leave them
Their faces completely undistinguishable
I see mine this way in the mirror
Every morning after I wake up
The night has written its secrets
Across the bridge of my nose
Cutting my face into two sections
Sort of bad and really bad
Terrible is sleeping completely alone
When you should not be
I was dreaming about loss
The sun was barely rising
A few rays of red emerged
All of the Earth’s moon lingered
May was not yet at her best
Thinking too much is a curse
Nothing good can come from it
I had forgotten about you
For the length of an afternoon
Until I realized where I was
Small birds approached and retreated
You would have fed them
Loving too much is a gift
Letting go of it is tough.
05/14/08
"I walk along these hillsides in the summer beneath the sunshine. I am feathered by the moonlight falling down on me...."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NIUAWqLFU9o
Above is a beautiful acoustic version of A Murder Of One by Counting Crows. Adam Duritz once explain the song in the following way: "I can remember being eight years old and having infinite possibilities. But life ends up being so much less that we thought it would be when we were kids, with relationships that are so empty and stupid and brutal. If you don't find a way to break the chain and change in some way, then you wind up, as the rhyme goes: a murder of one, for sorrow."
Somehow Canadian serial killer Clifford Olson has got himself a Myspace page. Of course there is the obvious outrage from his victims families over this and they want the page taken down. Correction Canada claims it is impossible for him to have a page because he is not given the Internet freedom needed. It is possible that the site could be a fake, I tried to find the page but couldn't. Below is a link to the article about the page and there is a link to Olson's page on Wikipedia.
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=6986394a-cf40-4768-aa23-0ea5628045d4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Olson
"There are days when outside your window, I see my reflection as I slowly pass and I long for this mirrored perspective when we'll be lovers, lovers at last...."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmS0Kjxs2v4
A couple of days ago I was blogging about Death Cab For Cutie and the link above is from their performance on Letterman last night. I thought it was pretty good, I am not sure if I am going to buy or download their new album. Yes, I still buy the occasional album (CD). Album just sounds so much better.
So John Edwards has decided to endorse Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination and this might just be the final nail in Clinton's coffin. She's fought the good and bad fight long enough, time to move on.
"This is the last time that I will show my face..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gppLf4XduoI
In a surprise move today Justine Henin has decided to retire from tennis. Henin is currently ranked #1 on the WTA tour. Henin retires at 25 having won 41 singles tournament titles including 7 Grand Slam wins, 4 French, 2 U.S. Open and 1 Australian Open title. She also won a gold medal in 2004 at the Athens summer Olympics. She was 493-107, an awesome winning percentage of 82% and won just under 20 million dollars. Success on the court for Justine came with personal failures off the court. Her mother died when she was 12, an older sister died before Justine was born, she went years without privately speaking with her father, her older brother was in a serious car accident and she is currently separated from her husband. She has struggled this year and time might have finally caught up to her. Tennis has a short career span, at the elite level. Where Justine wanted to be remembered at and not below the best. Few people choose to leave at the top of their sport and she has decided to. Which is admirable.
There are places only we know as being special. They might seem completely ordinary to anyone else but to us they are more. Going there is not always easy because our memories want to bring everyone we loved and lost along with us.
Keane is a great band, check them out.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVOa4-JwdV8
john.

No comments: