Saturday, May 17, 2008

"I said my heart, it don't beat, it don't beat the way it used to and my eyes don't recognize you no more......"

God, it is windy today. The sky can't decide whether it wants to be white clouds and blue sky, dark clouds and rain, or blue skies and sun. It is a very typical May long weekend weather, a little bit of everything.
Last night some of us boys went to Joe Kools for a night of beverages and other festivities. It isn't my favourite bar in London but I like it better than I used to, perhaps because I am older. Though having your ass grabbed by someone who looks like she could be older than your mother is still a little weird. All the while wondering if some of the other women are old enough to be having adult beverages. I must admit I did enjoy the night and it's randomness. For relatively unassuming guys we do have some interesting nights. Alcohol helps or maybe it hinders. The verdict is probably still pending.
After the night, breakfast at the Campus Hi-Fi was very much needed. I should actually be napping, because it is Saturday and most likely another night among the shadows is on the menu. I tried to read on our balcony but it was too windy and my head hurt, so I basically lied there listening to some live Counting Crows. There could be worse ways to spend a Saturday afternoon.
"Jealousy, turning saints into the sea, swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis...."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zLp5ygeD8co
Thursday night was poker night and we had a good turnout of 8 players. I was up $70 or so until D.T. and his good luck machine showed up. The guy is a very good player, unpredictable and willing to gamble, which makes him extremely tough to go up against. Plus there is a horse shoe somewhere up his ass. The game was really loose with lots of big pots, it was actually a very enjoyable night of cards. I ended the night up $35 which was better than I expected as my own luck turned after it had been gold earlier in the night.
"The good old days, the honest man; the restless heart, the Promised Land
A subtle kiss that no one sees; a broken wrist and a big trapeze..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8cFDzSvKQbY
I really like the Killers and in particular the song above Read My Mind. Very good driving song.
Wednesday night I watched a movie called Grace Is gone. It stars John Cusack as the husband of an American soldier who is killed in Iraq. Upon hearing the news of his wife's death Cusack decides to take his daughters on a trip across America from Illinois to Enchanted Gardens in Florida. Cusack is very good as an emotionally guarded father and the girls who play his 12 and 8 year old daughters are excellent. This movie is very sad, as you get to know the girls and at the same time know their lives are going to change very soon. There are certain things in life we would like to put off telling others but eventually have to. The movie is slightly political because it asks the very honest question of whether these soldiers are dying for anything. Are these little girls losing their mother in a country where she shouldn't be fighting. The real review is below.
http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/12/07/movies/07grac.html?ex=1354683600&en=c4ae1f67fd2445a1&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
I think John Cusack is underrated as an actor because he plays a lot of roles that are very similar but for me having him in a movie is like seeing an old friend. A list of my favourite movies with him in them are below.
Being John Malkovich
High Fidelity
Gross Pointe Blank
Eight Men Out
Sixteen Candles
Runaway Jury
Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil
Must Love Dogs
There are some reasons which will be easily known and there are other reasons which are not so easily known. Perhaps we and in particular me, don't have to know all the reasons especially in the heart's universe.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T1dSkEHQCQU
john.

No comments: