Sunday, May 4, 2008

"People come, people go, some grow young, some grow cold, I woke up in between a memory and a dream......"

I am slow, hungover and tired today. My friend Dave's girlfriend Crystal had people over to her place to celebrate her birthday last night. About 30 people showed up and filled up (literally) her 1 bedroom apartment. I had a lot of fun and might not have been the most socially awkward person there. The only thing that sucked about the night was that I lost my cellphone. Who knows where. I had it at 4 because I made calls with it and even phoned my own line, which makes no sense because there would be no one there to answer it. I didn't leave myself a message. I swear it was the gold slagger shots but it might just have been ALL the alcohol. I think I left it in the cab but haven't heard back from them yet. The party offered the entertainment of Rock Band and Mario Kart for the WII. I absolutely loved the old game for the Nintendo 64, so this one will have to grow on me along with its steering wheel controller. I only managed to spill my drink once that I remember and of course that had to be on someone, only a little bit though. It was nice to get out again this weekend because after Tuesday my week pretty much sucked. I try so hard to avoid the highs and lows of daily life but I am not usually good at it. I am getting better but there are still too many days when I don't feel like being around anyone. Though when I am around certain people it makes it easier.
"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks, some doors are open, some roads are blocked, sundowns are golden then fade away but if I never do nothing..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJl0pe-DWy8
The poem below is basically about how it is easier to be strangers than friends with anyone. It takes little effort to be a stranger to another person, even if you know them or did know them. At least this is my opinion. But I suppose it all goes back to the fact that people come into and out of our lives for a reason.
Easier Being Strangers
My skin flakes and peels
An April tan quickly fading
The phone rings and stops
Outside May is unappealing
I was happier last week
Kindness made me smile
The sun brought hope
For those in the park
Who were exposed
Reading and laughing
Running and playing
Today there is only cloud
Stories of floods and tornadoes
A good book already finished
Finds its way into the closet
We used to share books
Now all there is silence
I knew this would happen
When we said goodbye
On a familiar street corner
Below a London July sky
I wrote down the date
Should I become less mindful
Letting too many people in
Knowing they will only go
The way you have already
Though blame is inevitable
I choose not to offer it
Accepting silence as permanency
It is easier being strangers
Than it was ever being friends
Rain applauds like golf fans
Quietly tapping at my window
I could be right about this
My conclusions are pretty good
When I believe in my observations
Letting instincts write freely
There is no reason to sugar coat
What has always been sour
I gave you a lot of my time
Sharing things previously hoarded
Rice in a third world country
Would be a good analogy
But fortunately I will not starve
In your absence and silence
People are like seasons
They arrive nosily and leave quietly
Burning our heart and peeling our skin.
05/02/08
"Into the great wide open, under them skies of blue, out in the great wide open, a rebel without a clue....."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y-gVVGD7j3E
Yesterday was a big sports day with the running of 134th Kentucky Derby and with game 5 between Philadelphia and Montreal. I suppose I will start with the disappointment of the hockey game. I actually liked this Montreal team, not just because they were a Canadian team but because of players like Kovalev, Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn and the Montreal fans. But in the end their rookie goalie Price was human and perhaps Halak should have played in game 6 as well, he wasn't the reason they lost game 5. I picked Montreal and their loss makes me 7-3 in the playoffs. I also picked New York who were eliminated this afternoon by the Penguins, that makes me 7-4, I know it is just getting worse. I like the Penguins, don't get me wrong, I just didn't think this is their year but it might be. I will pick Pittsburgh to beat Philadelphia in the battle of Pennsylvania, 4-2.
Now on to the Kentucky Derby, I love watching this race but ignore all the hype. The 2 minutes is what it is all about, nothing against Bob Costas and the stories NBC fills its prerace coverage with. This year's race was won by Big Brown, the favourite and the favourite coming from post position #20, somewhere down in Indiana. Big Brown stalked the field until the stretch and then tore for home leaving the other horses in the dust. Finishing second was the filly Eight Belles but just after the finishing the race, she went down and was euthanized. This cast a cloud over Big Brown victory's because it highlighted what can be a cruel reality for these animals. Below is an article about the horse and how its trainer doesn't blame the sport for its death.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/bal-derby050508,0,6957257.story
I worked for a few years in management for two small Harness racing tracks and can only imagine the preparation for 157,700 people which was the crowd at yesterday's derby. There was over 12 Million dollars wagered on track and there were days when we were lucky to get $12 dollars wagered, okay a little more but it wasn't much. In total there was $114,557,364 wagered on the race. Big Brown paid $6.80 to win and Eight Belles paid $10.60 to place. The owners of Big Brown got paid $1,451,800 for its victory. Not bad for a horse named after UPS.
I can't concentrate anymore. Enjoy what is left of your Sunday. It is currently 11 degress here, windy and cloudy. Nicer weather is coming tomorrow. Put on some Tom Petty and relax.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JWG-xOO9h5o
jr.

No comments: