Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Do you want to see it? The place where I am free? Cos in my mind I need it but you're nowhere near to me........"

9:20 am
Home

So it is another Sunday and on this particular Sunday it is Super Bowl Sunday. I will be cheering for the underdog Arizona Cardinals in the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I have not watched as much football this year as in previous years, so I will offer no analysis. Hopefully it is a good game, with lots of enjoyable advertisements.
Another version of the most unnecessary music countdown in the world is below.
Top 25 songs played this year according to my iTunes player
1. Twenty Years by Augustana (4)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=g0oTAivWGGk
2. Kathleen by Josh Ritter (1)
3. Golden by My Morning Jacket (3)
4. Heart of Gold by Neil Young (2)
5. Thank You by The Redwalls (7)
6. Autumn Walker by Jets To Brazil (5)
7. Elephant by Damien Rice (8)
8. 1 2 3 4 by Feist (11)
9. End of the Empire by Sam Roberts (6)
10. A Falling Through by Ray LaMontagne (-)
11. Always by Peter Bradley Adams (-)
12. Such Great Heights by Iron and Wine (-)
13. Vanity by Emerson Hart (10)
14. Body in a Box by City and Colour (9)
15. Colors by Amos Lee (-)
16. You Don't Know Me by Ben Folds featuring Regina Spektor (18)
17. A Long December by Counting Crows (14)
18. Cannonball by Damien Rice (13)
19. Tears and Rain by James Blunt (22)
20. After Hours by We Are Scientists (12)
21. Thought I Knew by Weezer (-)
22. Hollow Man by R.E.M. (24)
23. I'm Amazed by My Morning Jacket (-)
24. Human by The Killers (23)
25. We Might As Well Be Strangers by Keane (-)
"Now I remember all too well just how it feels to be all alone, you feel like you'd give anything for just a little place you can call your own..."
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5LWpw3CMCEg
Let It Be Me by Ray LaMontagne
I wrote the following yesterday afternoon, longing for anything but winter and wanting to be anyone but me.
Affliction and Disillusion
Irregular flakes of snow fall on this Saturday
Taking their time floating down before landing
Waiting for an army of white to absorb them
I am sick of winter on this January afternoon
Despite my feelings of affliction and disillusion
A new cashmere scarf provides warmth to me
I like blowing into it and trying to trap its heat
Momentarily escaping winter’s constant clench
Before a northern Canadian wind chills me again
Reminding me of my heritage and its struggles
A people in need of knitted mittens like mine
Multi-coloured, layered and sufficiently insulated
I am isolated by my aloofness and awkwardness
Destined for definition by loneliness and kindness
A contrasting combination of needing and wanting
Hands on a woman’s body in the morning stillness
Hours indefinable by either moonlight or sunlight
Penetration a memory carefully wrapped in sound
Moans, groans, screams, dreams and ecstasies
The thrill of exposure and its anticipated pleasure
Body, mind, spirit and soul commingling together
Allowing physical release to bring mental freedom
Stress disappearing into a river of unfrozen milk
I can no longer speculate on my future potential
Gold and other minerals are becoming expensive
Silver will be the colour of my hair on death’s bed
Being alone on this day frightens and stiffens me
Reality is very unavoidable when you are a realist
In moments of hypocrisy I am a romantic dreamer
The beauty inside writes itself despite the ugliness
Existing on the face of what was once a little boy
I remember a purple Popsicle and a red haired girl
Clouds moving faster than lips on a first scared kiss
Unsure about what comes next and lucky this time
The snow still falls, floats, lingers, reflects and lands
Things must run their courses and endure our curses
I need to be more patient, accommodating and loving.
01/31/09
"You're never going home........."
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SnPC3jTm5nA
Ulysses by Franz Ferdinand
I was bored early last night and was flipping through my movie channels. I decided to watch The Last King of Scotland again, it is a good story with a great performance by Forest Whitaker and a good performance by James McAvoy. Information about the movie is below, if you have not seen it. Above is the first single from Scottish Band Franz Ferdinand's third album Tonight released this past week. I have not heard all the album but it sounds like a solid collection of music without any major departures from Franz's sound. I think I would like to visit Scotland someday, my dad's father was born there and I think its countryside would suit me.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455590/
At least this Sunday I do not have to worrying about how much sleep I got and whether I am going to be tired for work.
jr.

No comments: