Saturday, January 31, 2009

"She got all I need, the air I breath, when it comes to my valium skies, she don't mind if I cry......."

10:55 am
Starbucks
Dundas and Richmond

People in general and especially in public are disgusting.
Forth, the first collection of new music by the Verve in over 10 years is excellent. The album released in August of 2008 features a more mature outlook on life by the band and in particular its lead singer Richard Ashcroft. My favourite songs from the album are Valium Skies, I see Houses and Numbness, all will be featured in today's blog entry.
"How many lives, will you waste, how many times, must you taste before your freedom..."
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UWtHWMVp5G4
I See Houses by The Verve
It has been a long and frustrating week. I am sick of winter and I am sick of working midnights. The latter has been alleviated for a couple of weeks because like millions in North America I am now laid off do to a lack of business. Secretly I am not all that disappointed with having sometime off, though money issues will arise should it be any longer. I might even look for a new job, one needs to be prepared in these "uncertain times". I wonder how many times the phrase "uncertain times"has been uttered in the past year. I am sure Obama himself has used the phrase hundreds of times and the date for his Canadian visit has been set for February 19. Though it might not be as much of a God like coming should he continue to use protectionism language and implement protectionism policies when it comes to the United States trade with Canada. A recovery by the United States will required an open and transparent border with Canada. Both economies are in recession with December's GDP shrinking by 3.8% in the United States and .7% in Canada. Should Canada be shut out from U.S. markets in iron and steel, the Canadian numbers will definitely get worse and in the short term, the United States numbers might improve but eventually they will need good and services produced in Canada and, at when this day comes these will not be available or significantly more expensive.
"Just breathe in the air, but don’t be afraid, there's a time for us to make sense of all this pain...."
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa5FBK4bEVM
Numbness by The Verve
This past week I finished reading The Time in Between by David Bergen, which I liked. The novel tells the story of a Vietnam veteran who upon returning home is haunted by his memories, his wife's infidelity, and after divorcing her moves to rural British Columbia. Shortly after his wife dies and he is forced to raise his 3 children by himself in his isolated caboose cabin. Once the children are grown, Charles haunting draws him back to Vietnam where the majority of the story unfolds, as two of his children try to piece together his last days.
I also finished reading the short and exotic novel Milk by Darcey Steinke. This novel combines the sexuality and spirituality of the divorced Mary, the gay priest Walter and the ex-monk John. The sexuality of the novel is extremely graphic and contrasted by religion, which makes for some interesting mental pictures.
"And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..........."
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnWRjoP9mQ
Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve (live Glastonbury 2008)
Below is an article from today's New York Times about a now aborted Burger King Whopper campaign asking people to delete 10 "friends" from Facebook to receive a free Whopper. They know like we all do that we have people on our Facebook page who aren't our friends, and really have not been for a long time, if ever. I think it is brilliant but since they were sending messages to people informing them that they had been deleted for a tenth of a burger, a lot of people were getting offended. A tenth of a burger is not such a bad thing, unless you actually thought you were friends with this person. I do not eat Whoppers anymore.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/29/fashion/29facebook.html?em
The following is from the Underpainter by Jane Urquhart, it can easily be applied to me.
"In contrast, there was me; my relationship to any place, any surroundings, was always awkward and self-conscious. Yes, then there was me dismissing relationship so caasually."
Awkward and self-conscious.
john.
Valium Skies
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=yR67PcuiTV8
The Verve

No comments: