Monday, February 2, 2009

"I got out of bed today, staring at a ghost, who forgot to float away......."

9:10 am
Home

Good morning, puppets of the groundhogs.
So last night's Superbowl produced a very dramatic ending and the favoured Pittsburgh Steelers came back to beat the underdog Arizona Cardinals 27-23 with a last minute touchdown.
"Glory days well they'll pass you by.........."
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=cB35yLkZEmQ
Glory Days by Bruce Springsteen (live on Letterman)
For some, the glory days never seem to end, and during his Superbowl appearance last night Bruce Springsteen and his E Street band performed to much glory. The mostly upbeat performance included Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, a few verses of the title song from his latest album Working on a Dream, Born To Run and Glory Days. I like Springsteen best, like I do most musicians, when they are dark and moody, but this of course wasn't the venue or the event to do so. It would have been nice to hear the new and award winning The Wrestler or the old and time lasting Thunder Road. Even the Boss needs a bailout (sellout) to survive in America's new landscape.
"Don't turn your talking points on me, history will set me free, the future's ours and you don't even read the footnote now..........."
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=f9DoM2W0YDQ
Living Well is the Best Revenge by R.E.M.
Yesterday afternoon I watched Milk and I am now of the opinion that Sean Penn is the most complete actor working today. The movie tells the story of Harvey Milk America's first openly gay person elected to high office as a San Fransisco City Supervisor in 1978. Though the movie is more about the struggle of human rights and gay rights against bigotry and religion. I must admit the male on male kissing was a bit much for me at times, but the gayness of the movie was mostly tasteful. At the end of the movie, and Harvey's cold blooded murder, we are left with a sea of a thousand candles silhouetting through the dark streets of San Fransisco. By extinguishing one of the brightest lights of the gay movement, thousands more were lit in its place. I am very liberal in my social opinions, and as long as public displays of affection are not done over the top by either heterosexual or homosexual couples, it does not matter to me. People should be with who they want to be and when they want to be, it is their choice like it is my choice. In my opinion gay men are missing out on the most fascinating parts of human creation, the body and the mind of a woman, beauty and intelligence. There is information about Milk below, which also features strong performances from James Franco, Emile Hirsch and Josh Brolin.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1013753/
I do not have much planned for today, I think I will stay inside, read, do laundry, and find a movie to watch.
Today's featured lyrics are from Canadian band Wintersleep and its hit song Weighty Ghost, about not being able to see yourself because of the ghost you have become. How real and scary our self haunting can be.
Seeing or not seeing our shadow can be the death of us.
john.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-iW0zL2LI0

No comments: