Thursday, February 5, 2009

"I don't know if you read novels or the magazines, if you love the hand that feeds you, I assume your heart's been bruised......"

1:00 pm
Home

"Brilliancy is moving towards colour, not towards white." The Underpainter by Jane Urquhart. I finished reading the novel today and will be incorporating some final passages throughout this entry. The main character is an old and solitary painter, who has turned his back on potential happiness because of personal weakness and selfishness. I found myself relating to a lot of his thoughts, actions and observations about life.
"And those you never forgive you find impossible to forget. It would be years before I relaxed, paused long enough to wonder if they ever forgave me."
The observations of Augusta, a World War I nurse and companion of the old painter's oldest friend.
"In the end, I saw that our grief was self-contained, separate. Look at these unruined towns, these tree-lined streets, that lake out there with perfect flakes of snow falling on dark waves. There is no place at all for unhappiness such as mine in a world as beautiful as this. I belong with mud, stained bandages, moaning soldiers."
"So why'd you fill my sorrows with the words you've borrowed from the only place you've known and why'd ya sing Hallelujah, if it means nothing to you......."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDIF--HmPU
Delicate by Damien Rice
The temperature the last two days has been bitterly cold but its coldness has been contrasted by the brilliant brightness of the sun light. A delicate balance of cold and bright, a fleeting union only able to last for a couple days during winter. I wrote the following yesterday afternoon, in part trying to capture the light, impossibly so, and in part trying to capture her smile, also impossibly so. She is left handed, I did observe this after I had finished writing. Six more weeks, then what?
Six More Weeks
The light seems almost too perfect
For the coldness of this February day
Her smile seems almost too perfect
For the loneliness of this autumn boy
Who is no longer young and innocent
Hope has faded like October’s colours
The years have started to accumulate
Snow shovelled into a pile by the curb
Patiently waiting for spring’s thawing
Mother Nature’s eternal promise to us
My years will not melt away like snow
I am burdened with them until death
A lonely prospect in its current view
Without anyone to mourn my passing
Knowing the secrets between our lives
Afternoons and mornings leisurely spent
Stealing kisses, glances and embraces
Petty thieves in a world of extravagance
Happy with fresh flowers and warm tea
Green leaves, red petals and white skin
A younger man’s romantic aspirations
I cannot dream like this much anymore
The reality of its emptiness weakens me
A bird flying through the Canadian wind
Six more weeks of winter hiding shadows
Assuming groundhogs can be scientific
Stranger things have happened before
Especially in the perfect light of a smile.
02/04/09
"It's a small crime and I've got no excuse......"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOn5Eudj5tI
9 Crimes by Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan
Chaos Theory is a movie about an organized man (Ryan Reynolds) who has perfectly timed life altered by his wife's (Emily Mortimer) moving of their clock ahead by ten minutes. Being ten minutes late changes everything for Reynolds through a series of events and encounters. I thought the movie was alright, a little quirky and though the plausibility of some of the events seemed vaguely possibly, it passed an hour and a half. Sarah Chalke is cute in the movie, like she is in her role on Scrubs. She could have easily have been Dr. Elliot Reid in this movie and not Paula Crowe. Information about this movie is below. I am never sure if making lists or living life by chance is better. I am somewhere in between, and not efficiently so.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460745/
"Loving is good if it's not understood, yeah, but I'm the professor and feel that I should know...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOAslBbURI
The Professor & La Fille Danse by Damien Rice with Lisa Hannigan
I like words.
Eidetic: of, pertaining to, or constituting visual imagery vividly experienced and readily reproducible with great accuracy and in great detail.
Pontificate: to express opinions or judgments in a dogmatic way.
After Damien Rice ended their professional relationship in March of 2007, Lisa Hannigan would have time to focus on her own solo career. This would lead to the release of her first solo album Sea Sew in September of 2008, it has mostly recieved positive reviews. I have listened to it a few times now and seem to be stuck on the song below as my favourite. As much as I am a fan of Damien Rice, it was often her voice I listened for and felt a love for. She has now proven that she can swim in the vast sea of music by herself.
jr.
I Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQcMLjZa0m0
Lisa Hannigan

No comments: