Friday, February 20, 2009

"Providence blinked, facing the sun, where are we left to carry on, until the day is done..."

4:30 pm
Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH8Umb7WBFw
Until The Day is Done by R.E.M.
Like millions of Canadians I watched Barack Obama's visit to Canada yesterday with great interest. There was certainly no shortage of media coverage in this country. The CBC aired pretty much every moment of movement by the U.S. President. Meanwhile back in his country, there were the occasional clips on their major news networks but without the intensity of the Canadian media. The reality of Canada, like we Canadians know, is that we don't interest Americans very much. We are like distant cousins and other estranged family members. Occasionally thought of but not for long.
I think this is perfect for Canadians because actually being fawned upon by Americans would be seen as a sin.
I actually thought Stephen Harper represented our country rather well. I am not a fan of his politics and will vote for the Liberals led by Michael Ignatieff in the next election. Harper looked and even sounded less arrogant than he has in the past. I think the near defeat of his government has humbled him but I still don't think he can be trusted. I even liked how he took jabs at the American banking and health care system.
"And there was no sunlight, no sunlight. Anymore... It disappeared with the same speed. With idealistic timing the optimist died inside of me..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn8RLtmTbNM
No Sunlight by Death Cab For Cutie (interview + song)
The weather has turned cold again and winter is back as it was before. There has been little sunlight this week and it is depressing. I will be happy to go back to work Sunday after 3 weeks off and I can sleep through the depressing day.
I also think the optimist in me has died. I expect the worst and see it in me. It doesn't mean I won't fight it, it just means I am not hopeful. I am like William H. Macy in the Cooler.
I am trying to finish The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls today. The story of her youth is remarkable in its extremes.
john.

No comments: