Monday, February 23, 2009

"Have you ever seen a scarecrow filled with nothing but dust and wheat? If you've ever seen that scarecrow then you've seen me..."

7:50 pm
Home

I did not get to watch much of the Oscars last night because I had to go into work. What I saw were the minor awards and relatively boring skits. Anne Hathaway proved that she could really sing, Jennifer Aniston proved she still is not funny even paired with Jack Black. Tina Fey and Steve Martin were mildly amusing and what is wrong with Goldie Hawn, she scared me. Also how the hell does Penelope Cruz win an Oscar, I can't understand her in Spanish or English. I was happy this morning to learn that Heath Ledger, as predicted, won for his Joker role in Batman, this was the first Batman movie I really liked. The only nominated lead actor role I had seen was Sean Penn in Milk and I thought he was great, so his win does not surprise me. I am glad in his speech he spoke up against California's disgraceful anti-gay legislation because taking rights away from gay couples is just wrong. If there is a God, this person would never condemn anyone for loving someone else. Kate Winslet finally won in the category of lead actress for her role in the Reader, I haven't seen the movie but did read the book. I found it a little hard to wrap my head around the entire story, so I might watch the movie when it comes out on video.
Appropriately yesterday I had Bruce Springsteen's Oscar nominated (but losing) song The Wrestler stuck in my head. I think it fits me perfectly. There is something profoundly sad about the song, whether it is the lyrics or the melody, or their combination.
Last night was a long night at work. 3 weeks off was probably a week and a half too long. I must have looked and wondered at the clock more than any other night.
The wind was cold this morning, the sun was slowly rising as an orange pumpkin might out of the ground in autumn and the snow was new like spilt sugar.
Right now Big Bang Theory is making me laugh, as it usually does.
Take care.
john.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OSvJvSwmd4

No comments: