Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"I felt my heart strings unravel as it started to rain..."

8:10 PM
Home (not in bed)

It started raining last night and it basically has not stopped. I can still hear it knocking outside my bedroom window. I found it rather peaceful for a February day. Almost all of our snow is gone and it was a lot of snow. Unfortunately winter is not over.
I wrote the following this afternoon, sitting in the usual tea shop and seeing most of the usual people. The two songs below aided in the finishing of the piece.
"Something about a southern girl, make me feel right in a Mississippi morning, she's angel in flight, in a blink of an eye she'll be out of your sight...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slUIDNUnbO4
Southern Girl by Amos Lee
"I never thought this could happen but somehow the feeling is gone, you got sick of the patterns and I got lost in this song..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfpN3n8lR0
Hasn't Hit Me Yet by Blue Rodeo
Real Misery and Suffering
The February rain falls rather peacefully
I find its muddy puddles mildly attractive
Even as they grow and splash everything
These windows are always dirty or dusty
I have looked through them for too long
Public places draw us in and spit us out
The people become annoying and trying
Burdening us with their trivial presence
Until our personal space no longer exists
They have managed to invade it wholly
Insects at a picnic spoiling the splendour
I am a creature of habit and come back
Almost everyday to drink my green tea
Ignoring them behind novels and music
Occasionally putting thoughts to poems
Finding women to romanticize for hours
Their unique beauty transposed poetically
Often in failing comparisons and images
I have never dared to dream about reality
My nightly sleeplessness does this for me
Another morning finds me alone but alive
Surprised to be breathing and not choking
Afraid of my ever lasting mirror reflection
The self perceived horrors never departing
I carry them around like a wallet photograph
Pictures are reminders of the people we were
They never show us as we might or will be
Our imaginations age us in bizarre outlines
Freaks of the circus without a big top tent
Elephants getting more notice and offerings
Their wrinkled trunk being petted lovingly
Time has made them friendly and accepted
Whereas I appear unfriendly and rejected
Aloofness doing what it can do to protect
What is left of my ever fleeting confidence
I could be so much more than broken down
A freight train abandoned in the Prairie dust
When there was really a depressed economy
Drought only adding to the misery of people
Small pebbles finding their way into bread
No one daring to whine about their presence
There are lessons in real misery and suffering
I should be so much smarter than this hurt
The damage has been done and might last
Undoing it will take a lot more inner strength
A man I have never been or have even seen
Though February rain has brought me peace
Well Amos sings about a southern girl’s face
There are worse realities to find yourself in
Even if beauty has not hit me yet this year
I will stand transfixed by it should it arrive
Fog high in the sky on a February afternoon.
02/11/09
"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfkb4qLIQ7k
Mrs. Robinson by Simon and Garfunkel
Baseball probably wishes Joe DiMaggio was still alive to save the game with his class and skill. The bizarre world of current and former player revelations just got a little crazier today. There is a claim that former Toronto Blue Jay and 2010 potential Hall of Fame nominee Roberto Alomar has full blown AIDS. The New York Daily News received information about a lawsuit against Alomar by an ex-girlfriend claiming he was HIV positive and forced her to have unprotected sex with him. I must say this rather shocked me but it would explain Alomar's quick decline of play. He retired in 2005 stating health issues. Growing up in Canada during the early 1990's when the Blue Jays were winning, Alomar was naturally my favourite player. His all around skills were unmatched and he was exciting to watch. His personal actions have always hurt his public image but on the field he was magical. I certainly hope the report is not true and next year Alomar becomes the first player to enter the Hall of Fame wearing a Blue Jays hat. The New York Daily News article is below.
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/02/10/2009-02-10_15m_lawsuit_claims_exmet_roberto_alomar_.html
"It was in Bobcaygeon where I saw the constellations reveal themselves one star at a time........"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggm8U-CtaKs
Bobcaygeon by The Tragically Hip
From A Student of Weather by Elizabeth Hay.
"So this was Ontario. These big brick houses. These rows of fine, stable, red-bricked houses shaded by trees tossing their golden leaves on ground already blessed with flowers and hedges and lawns, the flowers like small trumpets or curly wigs, the hedges as tough as old lace, the lawns as warm in the sun as an old dog."
I hope you enjoy the rain as much as I do.
jr.
It Started To Rain by Amos Lee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpcJA6POKvA

No comments: