Monday, February 16, 2009

"Waiting here for you, wanting to tell you, how I find myself slowly disappearing too, just the way you do.........."

My laptop is not working and it is where I do all my writing. I find it nearly impossible to write meaningful words anywhere else. I do have a black book where I jot down random images and ideas but never anything complete. I guess until it starts working again or I buy a new one, my creativity is going to be seriously limited.
I guess I missed commenting on Friday the 13th and the contrasting Valentine's Day following it. My love life has and probably always will be more like the supposed bad luck of a Friday the 13th. I chose not to commiserate about it anymore and I am getting used to the idea of having a solitary heart. This does not mean I will not write about needing love, when I return to writing.
High Life (below) always amazes me, it is yearning at its poetic and musical best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSZEzLyaSjA (live 4/16/08 Kansas)
With the expect of Saturday I have had a pretty busy couple of days. I visited my grandparents for dinner Friday, mostly read Saturday, went to my niece's birthday party yesterday and then hung out with the boys last night. I went out for breakfast (well it was after noon) today with a couple of friends. It was good to eat especially considering I felt like crap, happy Family Day hangover.
Below is part 3 of the Counting Crows experience, less music in this one and more talking. A little bit of A Long December at the beginning and Goodnight Elisabeth at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUDhko5j9c
Since I last wrote, I finished reading Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky, a truly remarkable tribute to an equally remarkable woman. There is going to be an exhibition and memorial to her at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York later this year. More information about this is below.
http://www.mjhnyc.org/irene/index.html
I also finished reading A Student of Weather by Elizabeth Hay, which like Late Nights on Air was a very good read. I enjoy her characters, her landscapes and especially her Canadianism.
The following is from A Student of Weather.
"Luck. This was the time, the 1930's, when superstition embroidered every mind, when knitting needles of worry clicked inside every skull. Taboos were many and urgent: Never boast and never overpraise or you'll draw down the jealous evil eye. Never predict a good crop. Never predict good weather. Never predict happiness of any kind. Always hedge your bets. Throw salt over your left shoulder if ever you spill any. Wait for somebody else to come along and take the bad luck if a black cat crosses your path. Never fall asleep with the full moon on your face. Turn the lucky coin in your pocket at the first sight of the new moon. Wear a red ribbon to ward off the evil eye."
"Round here something radiates......"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bn2ozlSp8A (live 04/15/08 Iowa)
It usually isn't me but it doesn't mean I can't see you when you do.
"And mornings spreading out across the feathered thighs of angels..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqUe7nDLuMg
Such a sexy image.
"Buy me a flute and a gun that shoots, tailgates and substitutes, strap yourself to the tree with roots, you ain't goin' nowhere..."
With Hootie and the Blowfish doing Dylan's You Ain't Goin' Nowhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YkJ4HBfHv8
I love when they play this cover and Hottie gives it a little more soul.
"She comes out of closets every night and then locks herself away....."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_paUs8m7_w (American Girls acoustic 2007)
Isn't this always the way with the beautiful girls.
I will always admire the way Counting Crows have the courage and ability to alter their songs for different venues and festivals like a bluegrass festival.
"It's 4:30 am on a Tuesday. It doesn't get much worse than this."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xTsHvWRAKQ
Not quite, but there is a dead man trying to find a way to live.
jr.

No comments: