Sunday, February 8, 2009

"Can I kiss you and make you a queen, or something in between?......."

9:50 am
Starbucks
Dundas and Richmond
Another week is nearly over and below is another countdown.
Today my niece turns 10. She will always be the best birthday present of my life, even if she was a day late arriving.
Top 25 listened to this year according to my iTunes player
1. Twenty Years by Augustana (1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkX38QTG7I
2. Heart of Gold by Neil Young (4)
3. Elephant by Damien Rice (7)
4. Kathleen by Josh Ritter (2)
5. Thank You by The Redwalls (5)
6. After Hours by We Are Scientists (20)
7. Always by Peter Bradley Adams (11)
8. Sweet and Low by Augustana (-)
9. Body in a Box by City and Colour (14)
10. A Long December by Counting Crows (17)
11. Such Great Heights by Iron and Wine (12)
12. Autumn Walker by Jets To Brazil (6)
13. End of the Empire by Sam Roberts (9)
14. A Falling Through by Ray LaMontagne (10)
15. Golden by My Morning Jacket (3)
16. Tears and Rain by James Blunt (19)
17. Flyin' by Emerson Hart (-)
18. Long Division by Death Cab For Cutie (-)
19. Michelle by The Beatles (-)
20. Hey Jude by The Beatles (-)
21. 1 2 3 4 by Feist (8)
22. Jealous Guy by John Lennon (-)
23. Human by The Killers (24)
24. I'm Amazed by My Morning Jacket (23)
25. You Are My Face by Wilco (-)
"Say it ain't so, your drug is a heartbreaker....."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0V6NQJOJQk
Say It Ain't So by Weezer (Letterman 1995)
(I thought it was funny when Dave introduced them as a peppy, power pop quartet and went onto say he wasn't afraid of them. The clip above doesn't include the introduction, there is another clip that does but the audio quality isn't as good as the clip above.)
The big news in the sporting world is that apparently in 2003 Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees tested positive for steroids while playing for the Texas Rangers. Rodriguez who has 553 career home runs seemed to avoid the steroid allegations which have followed around other prominent sluggers, in particularly McGwire, Sosa and Bonds. Bonds, the career home run leader with 762 will most likely be convicted of using steroids or some other illegal activity in regards to them. Baseball had hoped that the disgrace of its home run champion wouldn't be on the public's mind for long and Rodriguez would save the game with another 210 home runs. Now should A-Rod break Bonds home run record like it seems he is destined to do, it like Bond's own breaking of Aaron's record will be tainted. I am a big fan of baseball but have never embraced A-Rod because of his inability to perform in clutch and his personality. But had always thought he was clean or we would know it, now apparently we know it. It is too bad baseball has let all its heroes become cheaters, and for this the blame lies squarely at the feet of commissioner Bud Selig, who should be relieved of his duties. Baseball needs fresh leadership and all its players should be tested prior to the season, during the all-star break and after the season. Only then will its fans begin to trust the sacred statistics of America's game. Great and honest players like Albert Pujols shouldn't be stigmatized by cheaters like Bonds and now apparently Rodriguez. The story is below.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/sports/baseball/08arod.html?_r=1&ref=sports
"I've been roaming around, I was looking down at all I see, painted faces fill the spaces I can't reach, you know that I could use somebody...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1HXVlqexz4
Use Somebody by Kings of Leon (live)
We could all use somebody and I can't seem to get the song above out of my head.
Time to do some reading.
Have a good Sunday afternoon. A Sunday where I didn't need to wear a toque but spring is still weeks away.
jr.

No comments: