Monday, June 9, 2008

"True perfection has to be imperfect, I know that sounds foolish but it's true....."

Today I finished Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, it is a good book and interesting. I learned a lot about hermaphrodites and life in general. The following quotes are from the closing pages of the novel.
"The streets were still full of trees, bare in winter, so that we could see all the way to the frozen river. I was thinking how amazing it was that the world contained so many lives. Out in these streets people were embroiled in a thousand matters, money problems, love problems, school problems. People were falling in love, getting married, going to drug rehab, learning how to ice-skate, getting bifocals, studying for exams, trying on clothes, getting their hair cut, and getting born. And in some houses people were getting old and sick and were dying, leaving others to grieve. It was happening all the time, unnoticed, and it was the thing that really mattered."
"The lesson of Desdemona's suffering and rejection of life insisted that old age would not continue the manifold pleasures of youth but would instead be a long trial that slowly robbed life of even its smallest, simplest joys. Everyone struggles against despair, but it always wins in the end. It has to. It's the thing that lets us say goodbye."
"Where do you go when you're blue, where do you go when you're lonely, I'll follow, when the stars go blue...."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=99sjZT1qB2Q
I go where reality cannot follow me. I go where the novel takes me and I stay where the movie leaves me.
Last night I watched Be Kind Rewind and found it enjoyable. Not overly funny, but funny enough, quirky enough without being stupid, sentimental without being sappy. The movie of course feeds off Jack Black's character Jerry but is stolen by Mos Def as Mike. Danny Glover is graceful in a supporting role as Mr. Fletcher and Mia Farrow is acceptable as the typical older hippy woman. There is a link providing information about the movie below.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0799934/
"Maybe I don't want to know how your garden grows, I just want to fly, lately did you ever feel the pain in the morning rain as it soaks it to the bone..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rSEWR45zN3s
One of the best and most controversial goaltenders in National Hockey League history retired today. Dominik Hasek compiled a 389-223-82 record with a 2.20 goals against average and .922 save percentage, 6 Vezina trophies, 2 MVP trophies, 2 Stanley Cup victories, was 65-49 in the playoffs with a 2.02 goals against average and .925 save percentage. He also won an Olympic Gold and Bronze medals. His style was unorthodox but he was athletic enough to succeed with it. I was not a fan of Hasek's but his numbers leave little doubt about his legacy as one of the greatest goalies in NHL history. I think he was overrated and played in front of superior defenses which hid his weaknesses well but in the end he won and unlike me that is all that really matters.
"So if it's gotta be you, treat her nice, hold her hand and tell her twice that she doesn't have to worry, and it will be alright..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iKCcy43y78o
There is a pretty cool concert coming here in September, it is Oasis with opening act Ryan Adams and The Cardinals. I like Oasis but really like Mr. Adams and his supporting band. Today's clips and lyrics are When The Stars Go Blue by Adams, Live Forever by Oasis, Hard Way To Fall by Adams and below Little by Little by Oasis with some strawberries.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6dIBstiI0
Right now it is 30 Celsius but feels like 39, there is another thunderstorm warning but the sun is currently shining, about 30 minutes ago it wasn't as bright. It is too early for this hot and humid storm causing summer weather. I know, I complain too much about the weather.
I found a couple more Counting Crows clips I wanted to share.
The first one is from Pink Pop.
Cowboys
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8XGfx67K89E
The second one is from a concert in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Holiday In Spain
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3xCGaJz_oKE
We are rare people, even in our masses.
john.

No comments: