Thursday, June 12, 2008

"I'm finally dandy with the me inside, one look in the mirror and I'm tickled pink, I don't give a hoot about what you think...."

The thing I had been putting off for nearly a year, I went and did yesterday. It was renewing my passport and it only took about 15 minutes. Since mine hadn't been expired for more than a year, I could go through the more simplified process and will get my new passport in a couple weeks. It really wasn't that busy, I think the long lines are done with. I am not good at keeping up with these things, everything seems to be expired or about to expire. I let my health card go expired for about 2 years and was grilled when I went to get a new one. It is not like I get sick very often, and even when I do, it takes a lot before I will go to the hospital.
"Tell me there's a logic out there, leading me to better prepare for the day that something really special might come, tell me there's some hope for me. I don't wanna be lonely for the rest of my days on the earth....."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WgR-l3fhygw
The following is from A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, a very funny, honest and melancholy read.
"What about dignity...?"
"You will die, and when you die, you will know a profound lack of it. It's never dignified, always brutal. What's dignified about dying? It's never dignified. And in obscurity? Offensive. Dignity is an affectation, cute but eccentric, like learning French or collecting scarves. And it's fleeting and incredibly mercurial. And subjective. So fuck it."
I wrote the following late last night under the moon.
A Little Bella In Annabelle
Half of a moon disappears behind night clouds
The sky is a dark black, blue and grey colour
June has reached its calendar halfway point
Although spring succumbed to summer earlier
I am outside listening to a piano playing inside
The accompanying voice is soft and female
A little Bella becoming a grown Annabelle
How quickly girls are transformed into women
Their bodies evolving fasted than their minds
Pleasures arriving without the treasure of knowledge
Carrying life makes them the superior gender
Though many men would tend to disagree
Most women I know are stronger and smarter
Able to forgive, forget, remember and move on
Most men have trouble separating and letting go
Multi-coloured orbs illuminate her face between pieces
Eyes passing between brown, green and blue
Settling into a hazel gaze cast downwards
Black and white keys are all she sees
Candles burn, wax falls and cats stir
Their fur glows like the stars behind the clouds
I know she does not play for me
The sound is too beautiful and warm
Things not often applied to my name
Mysteries surround music and its creation
I am a detective absorbing all the clues
Ears glued to walls and eyes searching reflections
This has got me no further in finding love
Possibly drifting away from its presence
All my heart knows is what it feels
Like half of a moon it loves
Like half of a moon it is not loved
Clouds and sky are not men and women
Though each could be one or the other
Can there be enough sky for both
Can there be enough clouds for both
Or like music is there never enough
After Annabelle has stopped playing.
06/11/08
"Say it ain't so, your drug is a heartbreaker, say it ain't so, my love is a lifetaker..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YU7LZts87Zg
The article below highlights the difference between protecting minority human rights in Canada and protecting the freedom of speech in the United States. In Canada there are certain things you can not write or say, if they are hateful in a racial nature. In the United States you can write or say almost anything, even if it is hateful or racist, as long as is not intended to promote violence. The article focuses on a MacLean's article from 2006 where they stated that the rise of Islam threatened Western values and how now MacLean's is in court for violating British Columbia's hate speech law. MacLean's should be solely responsible to its advertisers and should have freedom to print whatever stories it wishes. Then it would be up to its readers to decide to read or not. I love my countries values and diversity but we often go to far in protecting people. All people should have a say and should be heard. If MacLean's magazine believes that Islam is a threat to Western culture, then let them print that. I tend to agree with their statement. Canada is not a Muslim country and we shouldn't be rearranging our culture, laws and traditions to suit their religion. They should be free to practice their religion without interference but I should not have to alter my life to fit their needs. In the United States, individuals and the press, are able to print and say whatever they please. Though it can promote hate, it lets opinions be heard and debated. I am a white male and I know by the time of my death, I will be in the minority throughout the world. Does this upset me, no. The world is what it is. I don't care who my neighbours are, Muslims or Catholics, as long as they don't try to pawn their collective religions off on me. I am Canadian, I know what that means, it means everything and it means tolerance. What it shouldn't mean is silence. I should be able to say what I wish to say, like Americans are able to because of their first amendment rights. Of course in extreme cases, legal action should be taken and apologies issued but not in MacLean's case. It should be their right as a magazine to present its opinions and like I said earlier let its readers decide.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/us/12hate.html?em&ex=1213416000&en=0a8d34dd757e8d47&ei=5087%0A
Today's lyrics and clips come from Weezer including Perfect Situation, Say It Ain't So and from their latest album (The Red Album) below is a clip from Pork + Beans. A very cool video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=muP9eH2p2PI
Right now it is 25 with a little humidity and mostly sun.
jr.

No comments: