Sunday, June 29, 2008

"Like a soldier standing long under fire any change comes as a relief..."

With every baseball season there is a chance to see history made or at the very least to see something rare. I think this is what makes the game beautiful along with its plethora of statistics. Last night the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim without getting a hit. This is only the fifth time since 1900 that a team has accomplished this. The Dodgers scored their run after a runner reached on an error, stole second base went to third base on an errand throw and scored on a sacrifice fly. The game is technically not a no-hitter because the Dodgers only had to bat in 8 innings since they were the home team. Right now there are 30 teams in Major League Baseball, with each team playing 162 regular season games, meaning there are 4860 regular season games a year. It would be nice to know how many games where played over the last 100 years but I am not that bored, still the odds of this happening again are extremely low. I might see it again before I die, or not. Staying with baseball, the Jays have won 2 in a row, after winning 1-0 today. A.J. Burnett was dominate stricking out 11 in 7 innings. Watching the game was how I spent my afternoon, along with the occasional flipping to see the soccer score, I can't really get into soccer. Though I did see where Spain the underdog won, beating Germany 1-0. Though I am sure the 1-0 baseball was more exciting than the 1-0 soccer game, even with the Euro Cup on the line.
"Nothing is as beautiful as when she believes in me..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xs4AdufqvFk
Last night I watched a movie called An American Crime. It is based on the real life story of Slyvia Likens who was tortured and killed by Gertrude Baniszewski while she was staying with her family. The torture was inflicted by Gertrude, her children and neighbourhood children. Ellen Page plays Slyvia and is very strong in this role. The depth of roles she plays for such a young actor is impressive. There is a link to information about the movie below.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0802948/
I think we all spend too much time online but it is the nature of life these days. Below is a link to a story outlining the top online dating tips. I am not fond of dating in general, let alone online relationships that take the personal connection aspect out of the equation.
http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-relationships/articles/dating/rogers-chatelaine/sex-6_online_dating_tips
I suppose that is enough for a Sunday night. I need to shave and I think I ate too much spaghetti. Food is so good though.
Today's clips and lyrics are from Ben Harper including When She Believes and Diamonds On The Inside, its clip is below.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fEheWHVgffM
john.

No comments: