Thursday, July 17, 2008

"We live in a wheel, where everyone steals, but when we rise it's like strawberry fields.."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m4jLHxbX3NA
Glycerine by Bush.
OMG, I am sore from tennis yesterday. It was around 35 Celsius and we rallied for about an hour. During which I managed to hurt my toe running into a fence, I didn't realize how bad until I got home. After rallying, Jeff and I played a set which he won 6-4. If we had played the best of 3, I think I would have won because Jeff was exhausted. Not to say I wasn't but I was a little better off than he was. Back to my right big toe, the toenail is some combination of purple, black and blue but I don't think it is broken. I think I could lose the nail though.
The title clip today is Glycerine from 1990's band Bush. Their lead singer, now gone solo, Gavin Rossdale was on The Tonight Show last night. I haven't really paid any attention to any of his solo stuff but when I saw him, I suddenly wished he would play Glycerine which is by far Bush's best song. Though of course he didn't.
"Love lost, such a cost..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xNl9DOb76cY
Old Man by Neil Young (July 2008)
Earlier in the night Neil Young was on Letterman talking about trying to change a 1959 Cadillac into an electric car and promoting a CSNY Documentary. It was disappointing that Neil wasn't on Letterman to perform but it always interesting to watch interviews with Neil, especially a 8 or 9 minute interview. I will post it, when it comes on Youtube. Dave asked Neil to bring the car next time he comes, hopefully he does, along with a guitar or two.
The following is from The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence, it is about moving and how it can possibly free us. I would go anywhere in a minute, if the opportunity was a good one.
"To move to a new place-that's the greatest excitement. For a while you believe you carrying nothing with you-all is canceled from before, or cauterized, and you begin again and nothing will go wrong this time."
"Somebody spoke and I went into a dream..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R1MKkr2IUkc
A Day In The Life by Neil Young (Beatles cover June 2008)
I think Neil's cover above is really good. It helped in the writing of the piece below.
For A Day In Our Lives
The July air was stagnant
Sweat clung to everyone
A silver haired music played
His version of A Day In The Life
For his departed friend John
Before a crowd of thousands
Distorted guitars and raspy voice
We can go anywhere in dreams
From Dublin to Rio Madrid
Across oceans and countries
Following the music of legends
Their songs bringing us peace
When our internal soul is at war
Wrestling with this vast world
Confused by its inadequacies
Equally questioning our own
A song cannot change the world
Though it might be able to change us
For a day in our lives
When hardly a breeze blows
Water is scarcely enough to quench
The thirst growing in all of us
From a lack of proper nutrition
Newspapers printing only dire stories
Making diversions necessary and welcomed
Though not always in our best interest
Until we find the right music for us
A real sound and not manufactured
Instruments of love and not labour
Have we not all toiled enough
Trying to escape boredom and unhappiness
The time for freedom is upon us
Caution is necessary but happiness is possible
I hear it in the music everyday
Should you want to listen with me
We could find a smile together
For a day in our lives
Which we would usually frown away
Until darkness won and light lost
Maybe tomorrow you can begin listening
I will be around somewhere in a dream
Should you need someone to listen with.
07/16/08
The following article is about a Native Canadian and his growing business empire. It was nice to find it in an American paper.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/16/sports/othersports/16lacrosse.html?scp=3&sq=native%20canadian&st=cse
"I wish I was traveling on a freeway, beneath this graveyard western sky, I'm gonna set fire to this city and out into the desert we’re gonna ride..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W-7-8SwT6ZE
Time and Time Again by Counting Crows.
Not many strange clouds here today, just more heat. Along the coast of England it was much difference. The weather today at the first round of the British Open turned grown men into crying boys, complaining about having to play in the rain, wind and cold for their millions. Come on boys, Tiger beat you one leg and you can't handle the weather. Grow up.
jr.

No comments: