Sunday, July 20, 2008

"We can be heroes, just for one day....."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YYjBQKIOb-w
Heroes by David Bowie.
Tonight I watched Imaginary Heroes. I thought it was a pretty good movie. I am surprised I haven't come across it earlier, since it has been out for a couple of years. The movie is another portrait of a dysfunctional family, after one of the sons committed suicide. I don't think there is such a thing as a "normal family', there is always something hiding under the surface. The movie stars Sigourney Weaver, Jeff Daniels, Emile Hirsch and Michelle Williams. The following is a quote from the movie about dealing with people, if I remember it correctly. "You have to find one quality in them that makes them bearable." Even then most of them are still unbearable, that wasn't in the movie, all me. Also I liked this observation about meeting your heroes. 1) They are assholes. 2) They are just like you. 3) Either way you lose out. Below is a link to information about the movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373024/
"I have been lost inside my head, echoes fall off of me, I took the prize last night for complicated mess..."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BCnT6xEAIBY
Hollow Man by R.E.M.
How true are the lyrics above. I was trying to write something yesterday. It had a certain feel to it and then I was interrupted. The feeling was lost, I was a little annoyed and it turned into something else. Maybe it doesn't matter, it was going to be something else than what I wanted it to be anyway.
Commingled
The smell of rain
Preludes its arrival
A quick downpour
Tears for a July day
Saturday by calendar
Really any day
They all seem commingled
Lasting a span of hours
Twenty four by definition
Barely a drop in the bucket
Before it is kicked out
From under our legs
Lazily tanned in the sun
Whenever it emerges
Burning cancer into us
How sad a disease
Taking our weight
Dropping it from bones
The creation of a skeleton
Following us to the graveyard
The smell of flowers
Preludes our arrival
A symbolic beauty
Tears on a January day
Sunday by observation
Really any other way
Would not do
On death’s bed
Soaking with rain
Waiting to wilt
As the flowers do
No matter what.
07/19/08
Really just one day?
jr.

No comments: