Friday, July 4, 2008

"My wretched heart is pounding, I felt an angel's kiss, my memories are drowning, in mortal bliss..."

Today I finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I thought it was a really good story but also a sad story. The descriptions of the wounded earth following some catastrophic event are excellent. It is under a sky of ash that we follow a father and a son on "The Road". The journey is littered with death and there is very little that remains living. The father and the son aren't the only 2 living but they are among the minority. There is some hope in the book as there are still humans to carry the fire, though where they are carrying it to we are never told. Perhaps they are carrying it beyond the horizon into another world. Below is a passage from the book.
"Perhaps in the world's destruction it would be possible at last to see how it was made. Oceans, mountains. The ponderous counterspectacle of things ceasing to be. The sweeping waste, hydroptic and coldly secular. The silence."
I now wish I had read No Country For Old Men also by McCarthy before I had saw the movie. I am not sure if I would have understood it more or liked the ending better. Though after finishing reading The Road and wanting more at the end of that, I am sure No Country For Old Men (the book) ends leaving us wanting more. Though any good story leaves us wanting more.
Beyond The Horizon by Bob Dylan.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oZLDOEaeHiM
Enjoy what is left of the Fourth.
Somewhere there is a horizon still beautiful and still full of hope.
jr.

No comments: