Saturday, July 5, 2008

"Let's do some living after we die......"

Wild Horses by The Rolling Stones.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7hpAX8Q-MaM
I spent the afternoon at Sunfest ( http://www.sunfest.on.ca/) here in Victoria Park. It was a nearly perfect day, the weather was in the mid-twenties, the sky was perfectly clear and blue. This was until a few green balloons being given out to children escaped from their tiny fingers, though it made for a nice sight. The park was very busy and there seemed to be no shortage of vendors selling their goods and food. I bought a beaded necklace and bracelet, there was no shortage of them to choose from. The best part of Sunfest, aside from the scenery, is the music. I stopped and listened to a band from the Dominican Republic called Puerto Plata (http://www.sunfest.on.ca/artists/9-.php), they had people of every age dancing to their music. It was so pleasing to see so many people having fun listening and dancing to music, without having to pay anything for it.
"There's gold in them hills, so don't lose heart, give the day a chance to start..."
Gold In Them Hills by Ron Sexsmith with Chris Martin.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DncGOPzkAns
Below is today's poem, I didn't write anything yesterday but was easily inspired today for a variety of reasons.
She Danced With Her Father Like A Princess
Vendors crammed Victoria Park
Selling their creations and imitations
The sky was completely clear and blue
Before a few green balloons floated up
Their strings escaping from small fingers
A warm July sun turned trees into Gods
From under one I listened to the band
A sextet representing The Dominican Republic
They easily had the multi-age crowd dancing
Many with their feet bare on the green grass
I noticed her right away like always
There is a palpable attraction to her
Tall and slender, happy and lovely
Curly hair and cute mannerisms
The quietness of knowing she is beautiful
Without the vanity many today exhibit
Classic and wholesome like the music
For the length of an hour it played on
Partners paired and others sashayed
She danced with her father like a princess
Before the last song ended and I left
This poem unwinding itself in my mind
Another moment observed and not lived
Now the sun begins its daily descent
Dark orange against pale blue
A cool breeze blows on my summer skin
The day was better than most lately
Becca’s goodnight kiss warms my heart
There is a lot waiting beyond the horizon
But for now this will have to do
An incomplete description of perfection.
07/05/08
I should have had a camera with me today but my memory is often its own camera. Though you can never really see until you see for yourself. I can only point you in the right direction.
john.

No comments: