Monday, January 5, 2009

"People always told me that bars are dark and lonely, and talk is often cheap and filled with air......"

6:00 pm
Home

"The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert Einstein.
Israel is doing something about the "evil" people in Hamas, who are sending rockets at their country. But their actions are proving to be extreme and without regard for the "good" people in Gaza. This is not about evil and good, it is about right and wrong. The wrong is rockets flying into Israel killing innocent civilians and Israel does have the right to defend itself. But what it doesn't have the right to do is to defend itself and also kill innocent people. Hamas makes this difficult because they are scattered about the civilian population but Israel needs to do a better job of identifying military and non-military targets. In the simplest of statements, they are fighting over a piece of land and nothing more. Though, of course, it is more than that to both sides. This conflict, which has been brewing since the creation of Israel seems to me to be a waste of time and lives.
"She looks like the real thing, she tastes like the real thing, my fake plastic love...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDS4wOd_o1I
Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead live Glastonbury 2003
I feel invisible or like I'm not really there, at times. I often think that people could walk right through me, if they really wanted to. The flesh and bone are only a small inconvenience. I remember almost every face I have seen and I have to remember that most people forget faces. I can walk by someone I might have met once years ago and instantly remember, whereas they have no idea who I am. It is strange to hold so much miscellaneous information and mostly useless information in your head. I have this reoccuring dream where I am finally freed from this town of places and faces remembered and allowed to start fresh in a new city. Not that I don't love this city, because it is home but there is very few people I would miss. Perhaps it is people in general, I dislike, and a home in the woods might be perfect for me. Though I like the chaos and stupidity of everyday life, watching people become confused over the simplest of things. I am no longer sympathetic to the plight of anyone, things are no easier and probably harder for me. Let's compare scars.
"Why can't we just rewind?...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwILHCwj30Y
Rewind by Paolo Nutini (live on television program)
If we could rewind, there would be no point in going forward.
The other night I watched P.S. I Love You, because I was bored. It passed the time and was nothing special. It was a different role for Hillary Swank and hopefully she goes back to more serious roles soon. I thought Kathy Bates was good in this movie though but the Irish actor was horrible. Harry Connick Jr. was also very awkward in his role. The song above was nice to hear though. Information about the movie is below.
Also below is an article about a man's winning lottery ticket after his death, and his wife's final gift.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0431308/
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090103/world/lottery_legacy_1
"You feel a little shy these days because everybody goes away......"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP1Hc2SA5u0
Good Time by Counting Crows live October 30, 2008.
I think in my case, it is more like I am the one going away and everybody else is staying.
The following is from one of the books that I am reading, The Human Strain by Phillip Roth. I have given up on trying to count how many books I have on the go at the moment. It is horrible.
"The secret to living in the rush of the world with a minimum of pain is to get as many people as possible to string along with your delusions; the trick to living alone up here, away from all agitating entanglements, allurements, and expectations, apart especially from one's own intensity, is to organize the silence, to think of its mountaintop plenitude as capital, silence as wealth exponentially increasing."
So last night it was back to work for the first night in almost 2 weeks. It seemed like the longest 8 hours of my life, though it was no different than any other 8 eights. I am now back to worrying about how much I sleep and whether I am eating properly or not. On the sleep front, I slept from around 9 this morning until after 4 this afternoon. I feel pretty rested. My eating last night consisted of half a can of salmon, a small ceasar salad, 3 cookies, 2 tangerines, 2 bananas, a few pieces of marble cheese, some carrots, 2 yogurts, a bottle of water and a couple small cups of tea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPnvUOgMqI
Golden by My Morning Jacket (live @ Pemberton Festival 2008)
It could be a golden night for team Canada tonight at the World Junior Hockey Championship, should they defeat Sweden, it would be their fifth consecutive gold medal. Their victory on Saturday against the Russians was awesome to watch, they tied the game with less than 5 seconds left and won it in the shootout. It was mystical, magical, nerve wracking and ultimately amazing if you are a Canadian hockey fan. Hopefully tonight isn't as close and Oh Canada is once again sung by over 20,000 fans in Ottawa, along with millions from coast to coast. Because from coast to coast, is what makes this country beautiful, a vast strip of land unlike any in the world.
john.

No comments: