Thursday, January 1, 2009

"All is quiet on New Year's Day, a world in white gets underway.........."

12:40 pm
Home

I feel a little better today. Though this is the third straight day where I have had a morning headache.
It has been all about hockey since last night. Canada beat the United States, 7-4, in a thrilling World Junior game. Canada was down 3-0 early, on home turf, only to storm back. Aided by power plays, an official mistake and an unravelling U.S. team Canada made the night memorable for Canadians.
Today it is all about hockey, Chicago, Wrigley Field and the outdoor game between the Blackhawks and the Red Wings. I cannot get enough of the lead up to the game, that the game itself will probably pale in comparison to the hype. Though Chicago is a good young team and Detroit are the defending champions, who already beat them at home 4-0 this week.
"Because I'm still in love with you, I want to see you dance again...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbls_kkf0yE
Harvest Moon by Neil Young
Yesterday afternoon I was bored and flipping through my movie networks and came upon the good Canadian movie Away From Her. I had already seen it once but decided to watch it again. I am glad I did, it is worth watching every year or so. We are always going but not necessarily gone. The song above by Neil Young was used very appropriately in the movie. Information about the movie is below, the veteran acting in the movie is very moving.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491747/
"Big birds flying across the sky, throwing shadows on our eyes. Leave us, helpless, helpless, helpless...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KRVtjgMkM
Also used in Away From Her is a cover of Neil Young's Helpless by K.D. Lang, you can check out a live performance of it above.
I watched a bit of the Dick Clark's New Year's Eve special and it is sort of sad listening to him struggle speaking. We are used to hearing Dick's unique and familiar voice, and not what a stroke has left him with. Though you have to admire his courage returning to what he loves and leading millions into another New Year. At times in life, we are helpless to its diseases and ailments, all we can do is fight.
I have also started reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski, which I am looking forward to, because it is seems to be on every list of the best books of 2008. I actually finished 32 books last year, most of them 300 + page novels, which isn't too bad for my lack of attention span mind. Perhaps this year I will finish more.
I also finished 2008 winning $51.80 on Proline, picking 5 right outcomes on the hockey games last night, though the prize never seems to fit the achievement, better than losing $2 I suppose.
Today's featured song, not overly creative by me, is naturally U2's New Year's Day. Mine is watching hockey, 3-1 Chicago right now, and dinner with my parents and grandparents later.
john.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sudlxUNj30I

No comments: