Saturday, January 17, 2009

"My nerves will be the death of me, I know......"

8:35 am
Home

It has been a cold week. The temperature this morning with the wind chill is -29 Celsius. I think our winters here in Southern Ontario have gotten milder over the last few years (though I do not have the stats to back this statement up) and we have become wimps to the cold. I know I am.
Last night I went to my first London Knights game of the year, particularly to watch John Taveras. Johnny T did not disappoint, he scored 3 times in a 6-5 shootout loss to the Guelph Storm. The game had a little bit of everything, and during the first intermission, the power at the John Labbat Centre went out. Apparently the main breaker quit, causing a thirty minute delay, the entire arena was completely dark for only 30 seconds before the emergency lights kicked in. It was a weird feeling though being in the dark with so many people.
"A change is gonna come, oh yes it will......"
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=h8swpAhqfXo
A Change is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke
As a white Canadian, I am eagerly anticipating the swearing in of America's first black president. Barack Obama's inauguration is Tuesday and it can't come soon enough. It has been 233 long years for the black race and the change is no longer coming, it is here. George W. Bush, one of the worse presidents in history, has left Obama with a mountains of problems to climb. Whether he is able to successfully climb them all or not, does not matter, the world and America will be a better place following his 4 or 8 years in office. The polar opposites between Obama and Bush are striking. Bush is what America was and is a mirror reflection of its greed. The son of a President, rich on oil money, a southerner and a Republican being replaced by the son of a foreigner, raised on little money and a Democrat. These men are about as opposite as men can be, Bush is old American and Obama is new America. Old America will still have some say but their voice is being drowned out by those with more Liberal views and those who are demanding change. I think that despite the challenges facing the world and America, there is hope in a new president. Hope that expands beyond its borders and beyond sex and race. I think Canadians will welcome Obama with record crowds when he does make that first international visit here.
"All these wasted dreams waiting for the sun to open up my heart to anyone..."
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NCPucoSsg
Children In Bloom by Counting Crows
Not every dream is wasted, not everyone is waiting for the sun and not every heart is closed.
Above is a great rocking version of a rarely played live Counting Crows song. It shows off the great guitar abilities of Immy, Dan, David and Millard, along with the drumming of Jim. The brilliance of the band is in their many dimensions, often from one song to another, during the same song and one night to another.
The following is a famous poem by Robert Frost, appropriate for the weather lately.
Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Do what you have to do, enjoy what you want to do and save a little change for later, because eventually we all must change.
john.
If I have not said enough, the song below by City and Colour will play through the credits.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=z4LYbw3eMSk

No comments: