Sunday, December 7, 2008

"No one lives forever and the devil never sleeps alone....."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvh4xitM2qI
The Devil Never Sleeps By Iron and Wine
Today I watched the movie Shake Hands With The Devil. The movie is about the genocide in Rwanda from 1993 to 1994, which killed 800,000 Rwandans, most of them Tutsi. The major focus of the movie is on the actions of Canadian General Romeo Dallaire and his inability to get the U.N. to support his recommendations to stop the genocide. Below is a link to information about the movie and an article about Dallaire which appeared last week on CNN.com.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472562/
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa/11/13/sbm.dallaire.profile/index.html?iref=newssearch
From Dallaire's book Shake Hands With The Devil, which I should read soon.
"I know there is a God because in Rwanda I shook hands with the devil. I have seen him, I have smelled him and I have touched him. I know the devil exists, and therefore I know there is a God."
From the movie Shake Hands With The Devil, I am not sure if I wrote it down correctly but it is close.
"Loving a beautiful child is easy, it is loving a not so beautiful child that is hard."
Shake Hands With The Devil isn't as popular a movie as Hotel Rwanda was but it is an important film to watch, in particularly if you are Canadian. Also a heartbreaking book to read about the time period is A Sunday At The Pool in Kigali by Gil Courtemanche. The story like good fiction blurs reality and fiction, but the story is believable because much of it actually happened only the names and faces are different.
Well I guess my weekend is nearly over. Yesterday was my niece's third birthday party, she was very adorable and made everyone from four to those in their eighties smile. This is the beauty of a child on their day.
john.

No comments: