Saturday, March 14, 2009

"Hey Mr. Golden Deal, tell me how does she feel........"

Last night I watched a movie called The Lucky Ones. It stars Tim Robbins, Rachel McAdams and Michael Pena as soldiers on leave from Iraq. They end up taking an unexpected road trip together across America. During the course of the trip their lives are exposed and their lives illusions shattered. The movie was quirky but I kept waiting for something more to happen. There is also an oddness to this movie and the sequence of events are not entirely believable. The oddness might also be seen as cuteness, depending on your state of mind. I did find McAdams character rather appealing and despite her naivety, there is something genuine about her. It wasn't a complete waste of time on a Friday night. Information about the movie is below.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0981072/
I decided to do some writing this afternoon much like yesterday. In fact a lot of today is much like yesterday. Not quite Groundhog Day but very similar. Following the poem is a link to the brilliant Mr. Golden Deal by Tonic and a live version of Rain King with Springsteen's Thunder Road sprinkled in the middle.
Much Like Yesterday
Today looks much like yesterday
A mirror image of winter leaving
The sunlight brighter and whiter
I am cautious about spring's coming
My hope in change is not optimistic
The old man is sick and death waits
Summer might not find him around us
I am vulnerable to unknown emotions
Tears could finally come and stay
Where they would make a mess of me
I am not immune to breaking down
My inner strength has waned lately
These or similar words rarely last
A poet's hurt is often only a figment
Our imaginations easily work overtime
Creating love out of beauty or sex
I often want one without the other
Physical and emotional self battles
Leaving me bloody and badly wounded
I am always in some form of healing
Abusing, neglecting and rejecting
What should be truth easily accepted
The man I am is not anything special
Potential has been lost like kindness
Vertical lines of light separate me
I am half in shadow and half exposed
Nothing of a mystery except to myself
Though in reality I am very predictable
A lot of bad days after a few good days
This roller coaster ride is sickening me
I have never been one for extreme heights
Walking along the river is enough curving
The contours of the land are easily taken
I can control my thoughts about this life
Remembering friends who are now strangers
Women with nonreturnable pieces of my heart
There is no blame in their honest feelings
I should never have attempted friendship
When everything about them screamed more
Especially to a homely and lonely male
A romantic dreamer and a lyric studier
Choosing songs for each woman like rings
The rarest of observation becoming song
Where today on a day much like yesterday
Too many songs have a greater meaning
When they randomly play for my memories
Realities mingled with wrong fantasies
One day I will be right about something
Someone will be alright with loving me
Teaching me how to love my shortcomings
No matter the season and its changes
Our walks and talks will never abscond.
14/03/09
john.
Mr. Golden Deal by Tonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp38HAR5cmY
Rain King/Thunder Road by Counting Crows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpgC5E7A-9c

No comments: